Saturday 30 October 2010

Make Your Place

DSC_0014

I have had this book Make Your Place: Affordable, Sustainable Nesting Skills by Raleigh Briggsfor a few months now, maybe even a year, and it's possibly one of the best books I have ever purchased.

It's a small compendium of recipes for home-made household items from health, body care, cleaning and first aid to gardening things. It's full of tinctures, salves, cleaning basics and sprays, and all of it from the point of view of stepping outside consumerism and into the realm of healthy alternatives - which are also cheaper!

I know I'm not the only one who worries about what kinds of nasties are in our cleaning products, and for a while I have wanted to make my own, not only to save money (which it does) but to also make sure my home environment isn't full of parabens.

This book, which is written like a zine - hand written and easy on the eye - is a cheap book which really does deliver. My first attempt at washing powder was a success and I can't believe I've spent so many years buying inferior, nasty consumer products when home made is so easy.

DSC_0012

Such a small, cheap book that has made such a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.