Monday 7 November 2011

Bonfire Night Traditions

5th November

DSC_0077

DSC_0037

DSC_0045

DSC_0049

DSC_0048

DSC_0047

Looking forward to bonfire night is one of the few things that keep me sane (and I use that term advisedly given my delicate mental state) at this time of year. The boys really look forward to fireworks. Last year we had a steam train ride to the venue, a fair, a fire and the fireworks. This year in the name of austerity that venue was cancelled and we found ourselves somewhere we hadn't been before.

Part of our tradition around this time centres on food. Mainly toffee. And gingerbread. This year the boys took charge and a jar full of little gingerbread men is slowly being munched through.

After being the one who organises things it is so nice to see my little people take charge of our traditions and to carry them on, often when I would like to forget about them altogehter and just spend the evening in front of a DVD. Their excitement is invigorating.


*** *** ***

2 comments:

  1. Really fun to read about this! Arlo was borno n November 5 and a good friend of mine in Shrewsbury was quite excited: "Guy Fawkes!" I didn't understand at first but now I think it must be a mighty fun day to have as your birthday.

    Do you have a favorite gingerbread man/cookie recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll dig it out. This is a bit of a cheater recipe - has the ginger without the treacle. Oh he's a little firework too is he? I've another friend whose babe was born on 5th Nov - she assumed the fireworks are for her :D

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.