Tuesday 15 October 2013

The Thing With Wool....

So. I love the FLS sweater I knit a while back. It kept me company and lovely and snug all last winter. It came to London with us on holiday. I cannot say enough nice things about this yarn, this yummy yarn that is JUST the right colour, and JUST the right bounce and is JUST so nice to knit with. I love it so.

But what can I say? I should not left loose with a nice knit in real yarn and a washing machine? Yep. That, and possibly what was I thinking??

Because that's the thing with wool - it needs gentle handling. It needs love, cosseting, gentle soap and a sink to waft it around in... gently (I mentioned the gently part?), because wool, if handled incorrectly has a tendency to... oh, I don't know... felt?

DSC_0056

DSC_0039

DSC_0026

DSC_0027

DSC_0053

Yeah. Felt. SHRINK and felt.

So next time I think I'll just quickly place a lovingly hand knit into the washer to give it a bit of a freshen up, that perhaps I should a) not do that b) not place spin on 1000rpm and c) get a lobotomy.

The upside is the midget has a new sweater. The downside is I'm an idiot and need to knit another sweater.

4 comments:

  1. oh, debbie, i can hardly imagine!! your favorite sweater? in that perfect color?????? the only positive thing i can see here is that you get to buy more yarn from quince!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you poor thing. My heart goes out to you!
    H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I knew YOU'D understand! No one here sees the significance other than to remind me how awful I am at laundry :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heartbreaking ... one silver lining, when the midget has finished with it you can make a bag to match your new one :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.