Wednesday 16 May 2012

Healing Salve Lotion :: Recipe

DSC_0079

DSC_0086

I see people in Perfect Blog World, and Pinterest, who hand-craft their lotions and potions with such fervour that each particular handmade beauty lotion comes either in a vintage sweet tin, with printed labels (self designed, naturally, for you to download! free! for your use!) or a speciality bought proper tinted glass potion pot that probably cost ten times more than the ingredients for the actual handmade potion. And there isn't a spill or bit of slopped beeswax in sight!

Well, you'll have to forgive me and my rustic, penny-pinching, redneck ways. I use old jam (and coffee) jars (me so sexy). And I cellotape labels on. If I can find labels and a pen to write with. Some might be written in crayon. But pretty much all come with spills and splodges and designer-label free. I know. I should know better this far into the blogging gig...

Anyway, the Handmade Healing Salve is still responding to the morse code SOS that my eczema flare ups spell out... Saving Our Skin on a daily basis (it's amazing, truly), and the emails I've been getting (thankyou) seem to suggest you seem to like it too.

It really is going down a treat with the boys, especially the midget who now self-medicates his cuts and dry hands by reaching for the jar whenever he sees the need. But even though it borders on being a miracle, it's still quite hard to apply to large areas of the body say, after a bath. I needed a lotion, a healing lotion with a thinner consistency to allow larger surface area use. This pretty much meant beeswax had to leave the building - it does harden any potion up quite a bit, and so I dabbled around in the kitchen and eventually came up with this :: the Healing Salve LOTION.

So, again, the recipe here for you all to benefit from.


Handmade Healing Eczema Lotion

Ingredients


1 Cup Distilled water
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 Cup (Vegetable Based) Emulsifying Wax
1 (heaped) Tablespoon coconut solid oil
16 drops Lavender Essential Oil
16 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil

Make

Using a double boiler mix all the ingredients and stir until melted. Pour into a jar, label with date.



If you would like to use this as a facial moisturizer then leave the tea tree oil out (the smell might not be what you want on your face) or use as a night cream.

And there you have it. Simple but amazing.

Back tomorrow with a couple more handmade beauty lotion recipes to add to your collection! Enjoy!



*** *** ***

8 comments:

  1. Visiting from SouleMama....this posting is so timely. A) I bought coconut oil several weeks ago but have no idea what to do with it, and B) I have had handmade salves and lotions on my mind! This looks like something I could tackle...and trust mine will have cello-taped labels (my 4 yr old grandson has just discovered the MaGiC of tape and LUVS it!) and I'm sure a spill or smudge or two! Thans for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Paula, thankyou for taking time to write :) the lotion is great for all over use and the salve (with beeswax) is firmer, and good for lip salve and hand cream. I'm sure you'll find it useful. I hope it works for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks great, but i find that teatree oil seriously dries my skin out... do the other oils tend to ward this off then?

    I'm sure i could just leave it out or swap with some other kind of oil if wanted to anyway :-P thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use the tea tree oil for the healing part. Coconut oil is seriously deep moisturising and this lotion really moisturises well. You could leave it out, yes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Assalaamu alaikum :)
    You know...I always chuckle when I come to your blog :) oh and I always benefit someway somehow...masha Allah.
    Jazzakillahu khair

    Umm Imaan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chuckling is good. Best medicine out there, I'm certain ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I live in Michigan and the winter months are brutal on my hands (and yes, unfortunately I am a germaphobe!) so this salve really helps my rough dry skin :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad it helps! This has been a hand saver for me too, even helped battle my eczema.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.