Thursday 11 November 2010

From Old to New :: Repurposing Woollen Blankets

DSC_0015

I don't like cutting up vintage woollen blankets. I don't know why, I just don't. I don't have any problem in repurposing other vintage fabrics, but I just can't do it with vintage wool blankets. In fact it makes me feel like an evil thrift witch, bringing home an old dear, only to dice her up.... I'm probably being over-sentimental about it.

But to give you some idea of how much I loathe to part with woollen blankets I will tell you that I have had a couple of Witney blankets in my cupboards since last winter, doing nothing, too shabby really to be any 'use' as a blanket, but too pretty to be chopped up!

DSC_0019

Well, the other day I was a very brave girl and took a deep breathe and cut. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would, and having a promise of a bit of cosiness as a reward on a grey November day was just the incentive I needed.

DSC_0017

DSC_0018

In less than half an hour two enormous covers for two enormous feather-filled cushions were ensconced in the sitting room, warming my babes as they did their important snuggling up with a good book.

DSC_0022

Just as Witney would no doubt have intended.

*** *** ***

3 comments:

  1. Just realised I was logged into the wrong account! Still loooks snuggly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I'm aiming for - especially on days like this - bleurgh!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.