Tuesday 1 May 2012

Knits for (Baby) Mitts ... and Pattern

DSC_0008







Last week I showed you some of the things I sewed for a baby shower gift. Today, here are the things I knitted up :: a pair of booties and some scratch mitts to match.

The booties were a relatively easy, quick and satisfying knit and I've used this pattern before, many, many times. They are the Stay-On Baby Booties found in Knitting for Baby by Melanie Falick.

They really do stay on, and they are so snuggly warm. I can't wait to see them being used. Can anything be cuter than baby toes? Really?

The scratch mitts were a on-the-hoof made up pattern. I do think people overlook scratch mitts in gifting. Scratch mitts, from my experience, are as essential as nappies in newborns. My two had a persistent disposition to scratching their eyeballs out, lacerating their faces and an obsession bordering on pathological compulsion with trying to rip their noses off. In short, my newborns looked like they'd been pulled out of rubble half the time. Scratch mitts were my (their?) saviour.

So why not share the love. Here is the on-the-hoof pattern for Scratch Mitts for you as well...


Scratch Mittens

Needles :: 4 x 3.75mm DPNs

Yarn :: any DK yarn

Guage ::
22st 28rows stst = 4x4 in


CO 25 st
K in rib - *K3, P2 - rep from * til piece measures 2"
K in the round til piece measures 2" then decrease:

*K3, K2tog - rep to end of round
K a round
*K1, K2tog - rep to end of round
K a round
*K1, K2tog - rep a few rounds til only a few stitches remain. Thread a needle with the yarn, sew through these final stitches and pull.

Weave in ends.
Repeat for another mitten.


And there you have it. An easy knit and an easy way to ensure noses stay firmly on their faces.




*** *** ***

5 comments:

  1. I love these booties and mitts. They bring back memories of DS when he was very small.
    Yes bunting is still happening on Friday. Still some places left as well.

    See you Friday x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tick tock... Come on make me an aunty...

    ReplyDelete
  4. salam alaykum
    i just found your blog and im enjoying reading all the posts.i too dream of a farm, of growing my own food and making all my own products...and a woodstove :) whether that will happen is another story. i love old crafts, vintage things, and trying to live simply.lovely photos and creations masha allah.
    kind regards karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Assalamu alaikum Karen. Thankyou for your kind words. We dream such simple, but impossible, dreams together....:)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.